Reasonable and quite simple to install, many of today’s incomplete wood doors come rehung in their own pillars and they fit standard entryway rough openings. To stain a new door to contest the rest of your home’s wood trim is among the simpler DIY projects. Equipped with a few reasonable supplies and some expert wood-finishing tips, you can stain the door and the pillar in less than a day.
Things you’ll need:
- Grit Sandpaper.
- Tack Cloth.
- Rust-Oleum Varathane Premium Fast Dry Wood stain.
- Rust-Oleum Water Based Varathane Spar-Urethane.
- Stain Tray.
- Natural Bristle Brush.
- Absorbent Rags.
Sand the Door
Begin by sanding the door toward the wood grain with 220 grit sandpaper. This will even out the sponginess allowing for a more even appearance. Sanding will also clean off any splotches and marks out of the wood. Vacuum off the dust before continuing.
Stain the Door
Oil-based stains give long-term wood tone color. They enter deep into the pores to seal and protect the wood, bringing out its natural beauty. Utilize Rust-Oleum Varathane Premium Fast Dry Wood Stains for high performance stains enhanced with nano pigments and soy oil for excellent color clarity. Utilising sponge, brush, rag or clean cloth, apply stain to wood generously. Ensure you work in one constant movement over your wood, going with the grain. Ensure the whole piece is brushed well and evenly. You need to wait 5 to 15 minutes for stain to absorb. If you do not know how fast your wood will take the stain, utilize a clean cloth and wipe on, and then wipe off again instantly. This will give you a smart idea. It's simple to add more stain than to have to take it off.
Apply Spar urethane
Utilize spar urethane for protection and prettiness. This one available in satin, semi-gloss and high or clear gloss. Utilize Rust-Oleum Varathane Water Based Spar Urethane that fights scratches and stays beautiful over time. It is manufactured to give protection from UV light and weather. Wear gloves, brush it on with the grain. If you put too much on, you should keep on brush it out. You will have to babysit the wood, ensuring that it doesn't hold bubbles or run. Once it would seem that it is setting up, leave it alone for another 4 hours. Then reapply if you wish.
- When working with stain, secure your eyes and skin by wearing protection glasses and disposable rubber gloves. Remember, anything that can eternally stain wood will stain fingers as well. You should also wear old clothes to work, since some stain could spill.
- Always test stain on a piece of scrap wood before beginning on the furniture.
- You need to utilize an exterior stain for the outside – side of an entry door. Interior stains will blur badly if utilized on the exterior.
- Let rags used to wipe stain dry before discarding them.