If you love animals and want them to be a part of your house, you must consider using this creative and attractive dog silhouette wall art. This art will add that extra charm on your wall by helping you in creating a linear image of your dog on the wall with stencils and Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Acrylic Spray Paint. Below mentioned are few simple DIY tips and techniques of doing dog silhouette wall art, take a look!!
Step 1: Prepare
First, locate a place with an excellent ventilation and a dust-free environment to work in. Now, simply spread out a drop cloth to protect it from spray paint. For better result, sand the each plank using medium grit sandpaper and further process with 150 and 180 grit sandpaper. Once done with sanding, use a dry cloth to wipe away the dust from the surface and make sure it is free of all debris.
Step 2: Stain
After completing the sanding process, it’s time to stain the each plank. Following are some instruction that will help you in staining the surface properly.
- Stir the Varathane Premium Fast Dry Wood Stain thoroughly.
- Apply a small bit of stain with a clean brush or lint-free cloth to an inconspicuous area of the plank. If it is absorbing well, move on the rest of the piece.
- Do not leave an excess amount of stain on the plank, as it may leave blotches and an uneven surface.
- For a deeper color, allow the stain to rest for an hour before applying additional coats of stain.
- Wipe the excess stain off using clean lint-free cloth. Do not let the stain dry before wiping excess.
- Once each plank is completely stained, set them aside to dry for one hour.
Step 3: Glue
Use wood glue and clamps to glue your four planks together to make a 30”x24” rectangular sign. Let the glue dry completely according to the label’s instructions.
Step 4: Paint
Now, place a stencil on the plank and seal its edges using stencil adhesive. Spray the adhesive onto the back of the stencil, and adhere it on the plank. Then spray Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Acrylic Spray Paint in Gloss to paint your dog’s silhouette on the surface of the plank. However, you need to take care of the following while or before using the spray paint:
- Shake the spray-cane vigorously for a minute and make sure that mixing ball begins to rattle.
- In case mixing ball fails to rattle, “Do not strike spray-can. Contact Rust-Oleum."
- Hold the cane upright 10-16” from a surface and spray in a steady back and forth motion.
- Apply two or more light coats a few minutes apart.
- Shake the cane often while spraying.
- Once you’re done painting, set it aside to dry completely for 2-4 hours.
Step 5: Protect
To protect your artwork’s finish, we recommend to top coat the painted plank with polyurethane. You can use Varathane Triple Thick Polyurethane, which provides better protection with only one coat. To apply the polyurethane, stir it thoroughly with a stir stick. Apply the polyurethane on the planks using a clean, high-quality synthetic bristle brush.
Step 6: Finish
Let the artwork cure thoroughly or at least for 48 hours before displaying. Once it’s cured, add picture-hanging hardware to the back, hang, and admire your new dog silhouette wall art!>